12th March 2014 - One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

12th March 2014 - One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by Jeff »

Spoiler: this post is boring unless you're really into diesel engine maintenance.

I went to the boat brandishing the shiny refurbished injector pump (see previous thread from December for pictures, and previous threads for the full story).

Engine bay duly taken apart (soundproofing box lives under the wheelhouse floor normally) I moved to insert pump, with the small mark I'd made on it lined up as it was before I sent it off to Lancing Marine, and the cog rotated when I hardly touched it. As many of you will know, the injector pump has to go in _exactly_ correctly. One cog tooth out and the engine won't work very well, if at all.

So I phoned the local engineers who arrived 10 minutes later and together we properly 'timed' it using the timing marks on the flywheel and inside the injector pump itself. It then fired up no problem! After being sat for the best part of 5 months over winter. Fabulous!

Here's a video of it just after the above moment:

http://youtu.be/tdTQJkO227c

I decided I'd give it a good long run to warm up to make sure it was really working. I'm a massive pessimist when it comes to engines. And then I found it ran very very rough _just_ above idle - then it got a bit worse, then it ran rough at idle too. Fine at higher revs though. But something obviously not right.

Lancing Marine suggested a clogged injector seemed likely - bound to be I think.

30 minutes later, all injectors out and sent off with the engineer. Fuel off.

36 hours later - 5 in the morning - bilge alarm sounds.

10 minutes later, half asleep, torch on head, bilge alarm cause diagnosed. Diesel in the bilges. Lots of it.

Engine block FULL of diesel.

All told there was 50 litres of diesel in the bilge and engine plus a completely saturated, large, BRAND NEW bilge sock I'd just installed. Took a while to pump out and clean the bilge.

Add to this the price of the new oil sat in the engine waiting for the season.

I believe the fuel must have dripped into the block via the fuel return line which was now open as the injectors were taken out. The level in the tank was high (I always try to leave it full over winter to avoid condensation). I disconnected it at the engine end and elevated it. No more diesel into the engine.

Bit annoyed. Wallet unhappy. But it looks like we'll get there in the end.

Who said we should get the injectors done at the same time as the pump? Rob? Good call!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Oh no! Too late to say "shut off the tank valves!". I hate the smell of diesel in the bilges. Get some orange oil cleaner and some of that stuff from the pet shop for when cats have a wizz on your carpets, the enzymes break down the diesel. Just when you think you are getting there.............. Redex is good for keeping the injectors clean and reducing smoke at idle if you have a bit of that. Let the block drain for a day at least and ideally flush through with flushing oil to remove diesel residue. Injector service will make a difference to running but is quite expensive. We had all 3 done for about £150, but they were retipped, not just cleaned - fortunately the seller of the boat picked up the tab for that one.
As for us, well the engine is back in place on its new mounts and sporting a new Volvo seal and cutlass bearing, but not connected up yet. We have the canvas man patterning the sprayhood and tent. Bits of new equipment and parts are stashed all over the house, ready to be installed. Down this weekend to tackle the outside teak. Launch in early May I would guess.
Keep us updated. Sadly I found your post really interesting - perhaps I need some help! :?
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

No valve on the fuel return line :( Ta for other tips.

Sounds like you're getting there with yours! All this sun is making me excited and optimistic :)

:)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Me too! :sunny: