30th October 2013 - Storm in a Teacup

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

30th October 2013 - Storm in a Teacup

Post by Jeff »

We did more preparation for the forecast storm than we've ever done before. Everything was tied down, moved under cover, stowed away. All but one of our random array of fenders were deployed. And our ropes were an engineering masterpiece. I even tightened the rig.

We were ready, and excited.

And then nothing much happened. A couple of short sharp gusts to maybe 45 knots - but we've had worse before.

Obviously it was quite a considerable storm, and nearby weather stations showed sustained winds of more than 60 knots, but we didn't see them. Must have picked a good spot to hide. Probably for the best but I do feel a little disappointed that we missed it.

After the storm was a window of opportunity not to be missed; a lunchtime high tide and decent (ish) weather. So we went up river to White Rock and dropped anchor for a couple of nights, with a long (1 hour each way) row up Bow Creek and back so we could have lunch in the very excellent 'Maltsters'. Lovely. Here's some info on doing the same thing if you're inclined:

http://www.tuckenhay.com/getting-here-by-boat/

One thing has definitely changed since the storm and that's the air temperature. It's near freezing at night now. So the fire is on max most of the time. We're snug as bugs in rugs. So glad I installed the stove and found the right fuel (Homefire Smokeless) to make it almost hassle free.

Some pictures:

Mooring lines ready for the storm.

Nina has her tea inside while I shiver and tidy up ropes (storm mooring lines) outside.

Nina & Lunar enjoying the beautiful still morning at White Rock anchorage.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

you weren't going anywhere with that cats cradle Jeff :wink:
Nina looks nice and cosy in the wheelhouse .......... The joys of an enclosed wheelhouse .
FSDSMAN
YF Newbie

Post by FSDSMAN »

I must say that pub looks stunning. Reasonable price or tourist price for grub?
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

another mini gale weekend . Not a lot of difference to last weeks fiasco but without the hype . When is lifting out day for you Jeff or are you going to bite the bullet and stay aboard this year ? :wink:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

We'd like to stay aboard, and I think we could without too much discomfort now with the stove, but it's so lovely for us and Nina to be able to spend the winter with family all around us.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Know what you mean Jeff !we had 3 grand kids around last Friday , little bit older than ninaTho' the eldest drove his new car and took great delight in driving his brother and sister around :lol:
had lovely lunch in the Mountbatten .
time goes by so quick so enjoy your family . :cheers:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

:) Thanks T :)

Where's Rob gone?!