Monday 16th September 2013 - War & Bugs

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Weekend is looking awesome! Perhaps not _enough_ wind tho!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jeff wrote:Weekend is looking awesome! Perhaps not _enough_ wind tho!
It's looking good indeed . 8) but next week will be better cos we will be on the hard :evil: Anyway no doubt you all will be ecstatic to know that I've repaired 35yo Honda genny :cheers: and they said it can't be done !!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Well done Terry, and thank you for making sure the weather is good for us in the days to come!!

Are you any good at finding air leaks in fuel systems? I did a 48 hour rest test on the engine (3 x 24 hour waits worked flawlessly) and... there was air in the fuel. Aaaaagh!!!!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jeff wrote:Well done Terry, and thank you for making sure the weather is good for us in the days to come!!

Are you any good at finding air leaks in fuel systems? I did a 48 hour rest test on the engine (3 x 24 hour waits worked flawlessly) and... there was air in the fuel. Aaaaagh!!!!
You sure it's not the injector pump that's not the problem ? is it worth speaking to the previous owner ? Dunno what help /advice he can offer but he must of experienced the same problem.

If the air in system is a big problem.try a complete revaluation of the system ie start by rigging an independent fuel supply direct to the injector pump from a clean can of fuel . If that's ok after a few days then move back to the next conn in the system and test for a few days . So on and so on .
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

It didn't do it last year when we had it. It's a new problem. And the air is deffo getting in somewhere in the vicinity of the final connections to, or on the injector pump.

The difference made by the gunk I applied to the last bleed screw was very very noticable, but I left the remnants of the copper washer in place as they were fused to the injector pump housing, so I'm wondering if a really really tiny leak is making its way under that. When my new washers arrive I'll clean that off completely and seat it down on a new washer.

It's not a massive problem now though - so long as we start the engine once every 24 hours it starts without hesitation. After 48 hours there's just a bit of a cough at first, then it's fine. It's not stopping us from starting up.

Just annoying really.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Jeff wrote:Are you any good at finding air leaks in fuel systems? I did a 48 hour rest test on the engine (3 x 24 hour waits worked flawlessly) and... there was air in the fuel. Aaaaagh!!!!
It's baaaaaack :scratch: You must feel like its Groundhog Day :pale: hope the new washer fixes it for good this time. I always find harsh language helps in these matters (cover children's ears). Once had a Renault 5 that would not start for love nor money. I yelled at it and threatened to scrap it and wouldn't you know it, the damn thing started! Nearly went all Basil Fawlty on it and clumped it with a tree branch :)

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hehe I will give it a try! :lol: