Rose's blog

Moderator: Jeff

Rose
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Off again

Post by Rose »

So!!

I really need to get back into this don't I?

The final few days in Whitby passed in a bit of a blur for me really. I needed to get so much done from preparing the boat to making sure I saw as much as I could of friends and family. Being put back into the water was such a relief, I hadn't realised that I was nervous until I gave an audible sigh of relief as we chugged from the slipway to the visitors pontoon. That night we had our farewell family meal with the parentals at Trenchers, a favourite from my childhood. The next day we awoke to a phone call from our good mate Sam asking where we were. He was mightily upset to realise he had missed our launch by a day and an hour! He had intended to be there to calm Jeff down. He had even brought us breakfast ! What a star!! So our first morning back in the water proper was spent sitting on deck in the, partial, sun, munching on a surprise breekie butty" Ah thats the life!

That evening Jeff took some friends out for a quick spin while Lunar, a mate and I went to the pub for an hour. On their return we cranked up the BBQ, much to Jeff's delight (he has been having withdrawal symptoms) and spent a lovely evening relaxing with good friends, good food and good wine.

The next morning after a night of nervous sleep and we set to like old professionals making sure everything was prepared and ship shaped. Family came down for a few last teary goodbyes and all too soon we were off waiting for the swing bridge to do it's thing. Leaving the harbour and passing all the familiar shops and cafes, lets not forget icecream shops. as we motored past was exciting and sad at the same time. Seeing friends on the pier and my family waving to us from the pier end was enough to make me wobble, especially as my granny had to be wheel-chaired the considerable distance to their vantage point!! Bless her!

After much waving and when I could no longer see them through the binoculars we concentrated our efforts on our next destination on RUnswick Bay where we pick up one of Jeff's friends and his 3 1/2 year old son. I was a little concerned about sea sickness or maybe boredom from the little one but he must have been a sailor in a previous life as he had his sea legs firmly on and soon there was a mutiny as Captain Ed took over from Jeff!

Arrival in Hartlepool was interesting as a rough whirlpool tried to sink us as we entered the lock. Totally unexpected. You would have thought they would have mentioned such a danger in the pilot guide?!
We didn't see the area in its best to be fair as the next few days we worked and the sun was no where to be seen. The same cannot be said of the wind however!

It was with some relief that we left early on Thursday morn for the anchorage at the mouth of the Tyne. We were very happy to be bobbing about at anchor overnight again! We then made our way up to TOON, after dropping the lifeboat off for servicing. Which reminds me......no sinking, boat on fire or other calamities until we pick it up on Friday. The town pontoon was lively but not too intrusive and we ventured out for pizza.

We are now at St Peter's marina just a mile or so back down river. Nice, quiet and just a short walk from the Quay - perfect!!

Next stop........not sure. How exciting!!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Rose became rather busy after this point, growing our daughter Nina (now 2), so all further blogging is down to me. Currently being done so here...

viewforum.php?f=54
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.