16th June 2012 - Moving back afloat!

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

16th June 2012 - Moving back afloat!

Post by Jeff »

We're moving back afloat. Should, touch wood, be living on a boat on the river Dart by the beginning of August. Many many things to solve before it can happen but those "things" are beginning to be enjoyable challenges rather than insurmountable mountains.

My head is spinning partly because I'm "cat sitting" at my parents house and I found out how to access my Dad's homebrew and partly because there's so much on my mind. I wrote a list of jobs I need to complete on my next preparatory weekend trip to the boat and it's 21 items long - and 8 of those items are absolutely essential to be done before we can go afloat.

The clock is most definitely ticking!

We have to do something though because the rented accommodation we've been in since winter 2011 is unavailable to us shortly and we have no other alternative than the boat, so it is definitely going to happen.

Gone is the fear of monotony and boredom! Woohoo!!

But - Back is the fear of making a very very big mistake!

I much prefer the latter to the former!!! But is it just the homebrew talking!?

:twisted:
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Nice one! No such thing as a big mistake, sounds good to me. Am afloat as we speak in plym having had a shocking night and day of F8 gales and standing water in the Tamar. Now what's all that about? It's summer isn't it? Glad your enjoying the 'challenges'...........and the home brew. :lol:

Rob :D
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Discus wrote:Nice one! No such thing as a big mistake, sounds good to me. Am afloat as we speak in plym having had a shocking night and day of F8 gales and standing water in the Tamar. Now what's all that about? It's summer isn't it? Glad your enjoying the 'challenges'...........and the home brew. :lol:

Rob :D
Hi Rob :)

Force 8's! Blimey! What's "standing water" mean?

Hope my boat's alright!! Glad you're surviving!!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hi jeff

Standing water meaning that the waves were kind of heaped up into a short chop, unusual being in the river and the fact there was only about a quarter of a mile of fetch! As an update though, within a few hours, the wind and waves dropped away and last night was a quiet night. Apparently, last week was worse with 70 mph gusts in Plymouth! Ouch! Having to be careful because we are not on our usual mooring as ours sunk a couple of weeks ago while we were away in Falmouth. This one has a warp strop, our other one had chain, which felt safer. A few boats broke their moorings in the Tamar yesterday, one getting tangled up with the Torpoint ferry. Sailing east tomorrow as we have the week off, just hope the weather doesn't crap out on us. Here's hoping.......................... :o
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Blimey! Glad I missed that! Your mooring "sunk"!!! Eek! Glad you weren't on it at the time ;)

Have a good week!!