29th April 2011 - River Tay to Peterhead

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

29th April 2011 - River Tay to Peterhead

Post by Jeff »

Left after work yesterday and sailed considerably more than we motored, as opposed to all of the trips so far this year. Beginning to claw back at the averages.

It did mean we had to tack way out to sea in the night, but it was such an awesome night and well worth the sleep deprivation I feel right now. Unsure if it's a Northern latitudes thing, but the phosphorescence last night was like nothing I've seen before. We had a huge green glowing tail out the back of us, and as we ploughed our way through the sea, lightning strikes of light were shooting off from the sides of the boat at all angles, turning and twisting as they moved away. I thought they were fish at first, but the spotlight showed nothing at all.

We got into Peterhead at 1130 and the Royal Wedding was still running so we moored up, plugged in and sat down to watch the "kiss on the balcony". Ahhhh. :roll:

On the way out of the Tay we saw about 10 dolphins playing around, a few of them briefly under us and in our bow wave again. I find their presence electrifying. I'm, a bit scared of them I think; they're clearly intelligent, looking right at me, large and powerful animals. They must have recognised us though as they left pronto on hearing Lunar's barking from the cabin where we'd shoved her.

Next major waypoint, Inverness. Probably a stop or two in-between.

Leaving the Tay (Lunar looking for more Dolphins to tell off)

A bird that joined me on my watch, 5 miles off the coast. At one point it hopped onto my hand.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.