13th December 2010 - Christmas Has Arrived

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

13th December 2010 - Christmas Has Arrived

Post by Jeff »

It feels like a long time ago that I last posted in the forum with the title "Christmas Has Arrived", which is novel. The previous Christmases seemed to be coming quicker and quicker as my life accelerated. So maybe I shouldn't measure length of life in years then. If I reached the end, and it felt like 5 minutes ago that it was 10 Christmases ago, I might as well have spent 10 minutes, 10 Christmases ago, doing something absolutely amazing but which killed me. Maybe I should instead measure it in memories. The more I have between two dates, the longer it feels the time between those two dates lasted. So those memories could be good or bad ones. And if that's true then our recent decision to remain living aboard after our, touch wood, circumnavigation completes and to try to find a bigger boat, which will inevitably mean bigger bills and even less dosh into the pension pot, should not fill me with any apprehension. In fact not doing something adventurous would be stupid!

I hope.

Who am I trying to convince here.

The thought of having a hot bath then kicking back in a comfy sofa in front of an open fire, clicking the ON button on the remote and relaxing into a heart warming feel good movie on a screen which isn't also a laptop, after a trip to the loo which doesn't involve either a ladder or a bucket (don't ask) and a boiling of the kettle without having to switch on the gas and shake the bottle to make it work in the cold, without even the hint of "adventure" on the horizon is very appealing on occasion.

Which is probably why we've booked into some self-catering accommodation in Newcastle for a couple of nights so we can get the Christmas shopping done (and go to see Franky Boyle with the tickets Rose bought me as a wedding present). I'm looking forward to it.

I'm obviously feeling simultaneously philosophical and slightly melancholy. It must be monday morning. I never could quite get the hang of mondays (<-- a slightly modified quote from Douglas Adams).

Check out our Christmas decorations:

To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Pension - Who needs one of those? I would plan on a retirement somewhere warm and cheap where you can float around on your boat slowly pickling your liver with cheap rum!!!! Found any candidates for a bigger boat yet? I have been banned from looking! :cry:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi Discus, sorry I didn't reply to this sooner, I only just saw it for some reason.

Thank you for your excellent retirement plan advice :)

We keep finding nice boats but they're so far away and/or seem to have potential "issues" unfortunately. Something will come up I'm sure.

Seasons greetings!!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.