19th August 2010 - Woodbridge Tide Mill Yacht Haven

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

19th August 2010 - Woodbridge Tide Mill Yacht Haven

Post by Jeff »

Did almost a full day's work yesterday then the mobile broadband went nutty, so we were forced to relocate for another couple of days work I have booked in. We considered just moving down the river a bit to a place where the Three Mobile coverage map showed better signal, but the nearest shops to there would have been a 3 mile walk, and we needed some supplies. So I bit my yorkshire lip and we are now in the very lovely Woodbridge Tide Mill (a mill that's powered by the tide) Yacht Haven. A marina! £25 a night with electricity - compated with zero pounds per night at anchor. Ouchy! But we're reaping the benefits. It's a beautiful little town with good shops and the marina has power, water and showers. Luxury!

Coming up river to get here was quite fun! I phoned up as I was worried about how much water there was in the river. My chart showed 2.5m drying height, so we'd need at least a tide of 2.5 + 1.5 (our draught) + safety margin, say 4.2m minimum. But the high water predicition was only just over 3m, so on the face of it, we'd not be able to get there. But on the phone they said "come on up, you'll be fine".

We were not entirely fine.

We got stuck in the mud twice on the way up and had to search around again to find the channel. Then when we arrived outside the marina entrance, there was not enough water over the sill (which is there to ensure the water inside maintains a minimum depth for the moored boats) for us to enter, so we went across to pick up one of their waiting buoys. Partway there we got stuck in the mud. As the tide rose, we got pushed further onto the mud. If we didn't get lifted off before high water - this was going to turn into a more serious problem (I wasn't particularly concerned). After some time of this we were 1 hour from high water and still not lifted off - my levels of concern were rising!

I'd lassoed a buoy at a distance of about 5m which I was very chuffed with, and with 40 mins to go to high water we lifted off and the buoy held us and stopped us going further into the mud.

Then we motored in across the sill after the HM (harbour master) said we were now clear to come in "if we were sure of our draught (depth)". Suddenly I realised that I wasn't 100% sure. I know this boat is supposedly 1.5m draught, but we're quite laden. And it's not like bumping into a muddy bottom - the sill is hard! So I got Rose to stand on the same side of the deck as me (heeling the boat over effectively reduces your draught as the keel is rotated a touch from the lowest position, this only works in single keel craft) and we very slowly motored in without a problem. Phew!

We did take some photos and a little bit of video. Will get them posted up at the weekend. Got to work now...
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.