Complete novice and advice sought

For the discussion of liveaboard specific topics.

Moderator: Jeff

FSDSMAN
YF Newbie

Post by FSDSMAN »

Well worked on the low pressure fuel side of the engine after problems, now fires on the button> pontoon bashing, reversing in and going forwards in, partner on her comp crew, loving the sun, loving life and just a few more things to do before we venture out briefly before the summer lift and scrub etc.
Love the boat, life and all that it may bring. Problems yes but resolving them depends on your attitude and how much you are going to listen and learn.
Love it. Will have a sub web site done shortly but images on my Facebook.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

:)

We're back afloat for our first night tonight. At anchor high up the dart. It's gorgeous. Very happy.

Enjoy!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Jeff wrote::)

We're back afloat for our first night tonight. At anchor high up the dart. It's gorgeous. Very happy.

Enjoy!
Hope it went well! :D
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Just dropped anchor off Dartmouth. All good so far. Couldn't have hoped for a better start. Worst thing to happen so far was the fire was out this morning so had to re light it, and Nina refused to listen and ran into some mud on the beach at Stoke Gabriel :)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Nice one! Hope engine is behaving itself. Am onboard fixingbilge pumps. Yay!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good luck!
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Needed it! What an epic!!

Afloat tomorrow morning. Still more work to do. Hope the rain stays away :x
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

looking good for you all! :wink:

you may remember last year a visitor to the marina in the adjacent berth extensively damaged my dinghy ,Davits and solar .Well a gas board sailing club boat has done exactly the same tonight !!! Utter utter b'stards , The stupid so called skipper let a non sailor take the helm getting the boat out of the finger . I really despair at the stupidity of some people . :twisted: :twisted: Another few weeks sailing up the swanny ! Won't be renewing the contract here again . :x
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Oh no, not again! Hope there isn't much damage. Is it a bit tight by your berth? Hope they were apologetic (although scant consolation I know). Presume they are well insured (although again, not really the point) :(
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Hi Rob

Davits bent and twisted solar panel no structure pam age thankfully. berth not tight at all both times it was inexperienced helms . Because the berth is No3 from the bottom of the pontoon they can't go astern enough to point directly up the fairway . Instead of doing a few fwd and backs to straighten up they try to pull the bow around by winding on the power hoping to turn like u would in a car .
Nevermind a trip to Dicky B in the morning for estimate . If worst comes to worst I can take both Davits off and roll dinghy on deck and still sail away q :(
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Blimey what were the chances!!? Hope it can all be resolved quicker than you think :(

Good luck for launch rob. Forecast looks friendly enough thank goodness.

Wish us luck that the Royal Navy won't have a topless disco at 6am again like they did this am! I kid you not.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Well, boat is in (apparently) but a minor issue has kept us home today so not down until tomorrow now. Engine alignment has been checked by engineer who reports no issues after giving it a test. New tent has been fitted but was unzipped from the Sprayhood and apparently now sports some serious creases in the windows from being left crumpled up after the launch - not good!
Terry - can't believe how p**sed off you must be. I have found that lots of people see it as a personal failure if they don't make it into a berth in one go. Have seen a couple of boats hit pontoons at a fair old lick as the helmsman powers in to keep steerage on. Still can't believe your luck, or lack of it!

Jeff - topless disco? 6am? Must of been a hell of a party! Good job war didn't break out this morning!

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yep. Passing out shindig I think. Blooming annoying.

Glad launch and engine sound ok!
FSDSMAN
YF Newbie

Post by FSDSMAN »

Sorry to hear about the damage to the boat and I prey that I do not do the same. I believe that I will *uck up at some stage but try and plan things like leaving a birth or entering a lock to eliminate as much risk as possible but have herd about an seen some complete cock ups when entering the lock here at Chatham and with a 4 knot cross current and wind it does give you a challenge.
My partner was completing her comp crew course over the weekend but a skipper on a boat opposite me helped me take my boat out for the first time on Sunday. Shame there was just enough wind to blow a fart away but the conditions was probably the best for my first run out and get used to her since we sailed her back. A few drama's but nothing bad. Having to strip a winch down to free the continuous furling line for the main sail and re-assemble and then roll in the main again before we could enter Queenborough and pick up a buoy. On the way into Queenborough a yacht was coming up river so I steered as close as possible watching the depth to starboard side of the channel and missing some of the craft already moored up and enjoying the spring sun. To my horror the yacht that was rapidly approaching turned and proceeded on a course across the narrow channel aiming at my bow. With nowhere to go and the tide pushing me down river I was just about to come about and use some expletives to the other skipper but then she straightened out and I was greeted buy my partner and the rest of the boats crew who had recognised my boat and came over to say hello.
Enjoyed a couple of hours on a buoy and also took the dinghy across to the pub for a refresher then timed it to get back to Chatham when the lock is on free flow - so no other boats to bump into. Great day out for my first trip as skipper of my own boat.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hehe sounds like a fun day out! Love the story about your wife! Your transition from anger to happy realisation would have made a good photo sequence.

We've been boating now for about 6 years and on the rare occasion where we have a completely problem free passage we marvel at our good fortune! Though it does seem perhaps to be happening a little more frequently now... Touch wood.