Live aboard W33

For the discussion of liveaboard specific topics.

Moderator: Jeff

johngray37
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Live aboard W33

Post by johngray37 »

Hi Folks,

My Girlfriend and I are just about to move on to our W33 in Ardrossan before starting to sail south mid March start of April... I would really appreciate some advice on places to visit, cheap marinas to stay in and also just some general tips on comfort and general life in the little world of live aboard Yachting.

Jboy
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi John, welcome!

Do you mean you're going to move onto a Westerly 33? What layout is it?

As you're moving in at this time of year, heating and ventilation are the key issues you'll have to deal with apart from the general getting used to living in a small space. If you're planning to heat with heaters which don't bring in new air from the outside then you will _need_ a dehumidifier. We're managing to stay dry in our Tempest (Westerly 31 footer) by using our Eberspacher and plenty of ventilation. Now and then if we forget to open a hatch wider when cooking, we find all the cupboards have condensation in the back of them and have to empty them, dry them and let the Eber rip on full power for a while. So far this has happened 3 or 4 times in a year - and we're getting better at avoiding it.

Each time it happens I think more seriously about picking up a dehumidifier. But I really am keen to avoid bringing more things into our already very tight living space.

Let us know how you get on and keep us posted on your sailing progress! When are you sailing south? If you come to Plymouth, a night in Sutton Harbour is well worth the expense. The facilities here are like a hotel, and the Barbican surrounds you with lights, restaurants, pubs etc etc. It's really cosy - good choice for us for somewhere to get through the winter in.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Update to my previous post...

It's not true about having to use an Eberspacher or heater that draws in new air. The important thing is to make sure you have two hatches slightly open, not just one. This seems to create a small flow of air through the boat, rather than a circulation of air in the boat. Normal existance is with maybe 1 inch opening of the main hatch, and similarly in a skylight at the other end of the cabin. When cooking etc we open them both as wide as conditions allow.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.