Crewing etiquette

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

mnbv
YF Newbie

Crewing etiquette

Post by mnbv »

Hello,

The father of a friend has bought a 36' day yacht (if that's he correct term!) for his retirement hobby, and I've been invited/asked to help out with crewing (so there will probably be 3 of us). Friend and his father both have day skipper licences (again not sure if that's he correct term!) and I'm pretty much clueless.

As I understand it I'm invited to just turn up and learn the ropes. But I was wondering given my friend's father has just spent £80k buying it plus all the ongoing cost am I taking liberties by just turning up for freebie jollies (although I expect I'll be put to hard work!)?

I was wondering what the correct 'form' is? I did consider turning up with decent wine in hand each time but seems a bit petty given the cost of the boat? On the other hand I don't know if I'll even enjoy sailing and can't say I have any appetite for taking on an expensive hobby! :-)

Thanks,

mnbv
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Welcome to the forum!

What boat has he bought that's 36 foot and only a 'day boat' but which cost £80k? It must be one amazing bit of kit!

I don't think there's any need for you to worry about any form of payment. They'll be very glad of the help so they are able to take their boat out. And at the same time you'll learn a lot and have fun. Mutually beneficial relationship. Everyone's happy.

Some boats pay for crew.

When they're bringing the boat back into the marina and the wind catches it and you rapidly put a fender between it and another boat, or the corner of a pontoon, you'll have paid for your passage and then some.

Have fun!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
mnbv
YF Newbie

Post by mnbv »

Thanks Jeff, well it has two bedrooms but I'm not sure it will get past the isle of wight!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hehe I'm sure it will. We managed, just about.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.