novice with a dream

Our announcements, your suggestions and anything to do with this website.

Moderator: Jeff

bilge rat
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Novice with a dream

Post by bilge rat »

Hi Javsar,
from my experience of people with dreams about sailing with their wives / families on long distances:
It seems to me that the vast majority of wives love the idea, that is, until their first experience with fear and mal de mer.
Out of the 50-60 boats that cruise from my own sailing club, only 5 or 6 have their wives in attendance. Most of the wives
having decided never to sail again after their first bad experience. I have taken many boats and owners to the Mediterranean,
a fair number of them decide to sell their boats when we get there having realised that sailing is not for them.
With regards to buying a small boat to gain experience, you may find yourself spending most of your time
repairing your boat and too little gaining sailing experience. It would be far better to join a sailing club and put your name on
the board advertising yourself as in-experienced but keen to learn. If you are still keen after a few sails, then join up with an
approved Rya practical sailing course or alternately hire a charter yacht out in Turkey. There are loads of them and early on
in the year they can be reasonably priced. Of course Turkey cannot really give you tidal experience for coastal cruising but you
quite often get choppy seas and strong afternoon winds to test your stomachs for cooking/navigating down below.
Best of luck

George
Regards

George