Does such a boat exist?

Have a natter in here about anything you like. Witty, serious, interesting, inspirational - anything goes. Just like your own yacht club bar - but electronic! :)

Moderator: Jeff

random808
YF Newbie

Does such a boat exist?

Post by random808 »

Hi

I am after a cheap boat (up to £5,000-£6,000) in reasonable condition that is capable of sailing round Britain mainly single handed but also capable of sleeping 4. I was thinking it would need to be the region of at least 22 feet but you might be able to advise me otherwise. Can anyone recommend any boats that may fit these criteria so that I can do further research? Iwould aim to be buying in the next couple of years. Thanks
cpedw
YF Newbie

Post by cpedw »

I think you will find there are quite a few that will come somewher near to fitting those conditions. They will probably be reasonably old - say 20 or more years - so there can be a wide range of use/misuse and equipment, which all affects the price quite a bit. I would suggest, just as a start, a Hurley 22 or Seamaster 23 might be worth looking out for.

Derek
random808
YF Newbie

Post by random808 »

Thanks for that - does anyone else have any other suggestions. A friend mentioned a Seal 22. Does anyone have any opinions on that?
Dickh
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Dickh »

Halcyon 23 is a good seaboat - I took mine all round the Thames Estuary and across to France, mainly single handed. A bit wet but any small boat would be. Make sure you get the fin keel mk2 version, recognised by the all GRP cockpit coamings. Ignore the early triple keeled version. You should be able to get one with either an inboard engine or outboard for under £4k which will leave extra money for the extra fitting out you'll have to do before such a trip.
Another would be one of the Folkboat derivatives, again with a proven track record but you'll be lucky to get one for under 5-6k, unless you go for an early wooden one needing work.
Regarding sleeping 4, it would certainly be cramped for more than a day or two sailing.
Look through the ads in the yachting press and also look at boatsand outboards.co.uk where they are often boats of that price range advertised. Also look on Ebay and go round any second hand boat shows which are usually held at various venues around the country. Not sure where you are based but Suffolk Yacht Harbour and Tollesbury both have sales in the autumn and spring. Don't forget to always make an offer at well under the asking price - start at 20% less......
Good Luck.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Sixpence is a 21ft Debutante, and one is alledged to have made it across the Atlantic. Very seaworthy boat, well worth looking out for one. Due to set off on her maiden voyage, 175nm, at an average of 3kn, so quite a trip for me
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Epic - long way for a maiden voyage! Good luck!!!! Let us know how you get on!!
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Certainly will do thanks, looking at a shakedown in the Wash and put into Wells to make sure all is well, then an overnight passage should see me a fair way into the journey, by which time I'll need a shower so it's a case of find a marina and dive in :D