Girlfriends, Boyfriends, Wives, Husbands and Yachts?

Have a natter in here about anything you like. Witty, serious, interesting, inspirational - anything goes. Just like your own yacht club bar - but electronic! :)

Moderator: Jeff

Which of these categories best describes you?

I avoid sailing with my partner.
No votes
I wish my partner would come sailing more.
33%
My partner is as keen as I am.
17%
My partner is even keener than I am.
17%
My partner seems to not want me to come.
No votes
I hate sailing and wish my partner would do less of it.
No votes
Other (please explain)
33%

Total votes: 6

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Girlfriends, Boyfriends, Wives, Husbands and Yachts?

Post by bobholiday »

I'm new to yachts and am hoping my girlfriend will take to the life of cruising at the weekend with me... but while I was looking around for a yacht to buy, I noticed a lot of people were selling up "because their partner just wasn't interested".

Decided to run a little poll to see how this issue affects the sailing community in general.
Dickh
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Dickh »

The secret is to not take your wife/girlfriend out in other than perfect conditions ie sunny, calm, daylight, short trip etc. Then build up to longer trips, make sure you explain exactly what you want her to do, don't shout at her, don't frighten her, enroll her on a short sailing course/competent crew or similar.
Get a steady cruiser, not an out and out racer, perhaps a motorsailer to start with, don't be afraid to motor a lot of the time, get her on the helm. Don't insist she does all the 'domestic' tasks, make sure you have a nice toilet compartment. Remember that a lot of people get seasick quickly if sent below while sailing. (my wife does and we use 'a bucket and chuckit' in the cockpit on long trips).
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

That's some really excellent advice - obvious now you mention it, but hadn't all come to mind. She's a little shy, so unsure about courses (and I'm shy about spending money! :P) but I will follow the rest of your advice to the letter. Thank you!
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Mine is different, she prefers it rough out there, where I prefer it smooth :D