23rd June 2014 - Elender Cove

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Yep, cooler air is drawn in off the sea in your example, if there is a big temp difference between the land and sea, you can get an anabatic wind forming. A lesser version of this is seeing sea birds cruising the uplifting airs (or thermals if you're a handglider). For a good katabatic wind, you need a slope, where a good covection current can set up during the day and push air up where it cools (relative) to the underlying air. Once the convection current begins to collapse, the cooler air wants to sink back down and the katabatic effect begins. Optimum slope angle is beow 35 degrees. The longer the slope, the better. Many moons ago, I did some field work in southern Spain trying to quantify the optimum conditions for the katabatic effect. Caveat here is it wasn't my main geographical focus. Now if anyone is interested in fluvial geomorphology....................... :-)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok. Here's one for you. Was the Grand Canyon created in a sudden catastrophic flood event, or over many many years?

Fieldwork in Spain trying to find the perfect beach sounds like tough work!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Ah, Grand Canyon is an interesting one. On first look, the Colorado River seems to have done a pretty impressive job of forming the features but it had some 'assistance' with some geological uplift causing more rapid erosion and a considerable amount of non fluvial weathering. It is still classed as an arid land formation even though the river is the primary erosion medium. Flood events would have accelerated erosion locally but even a catastrophic flood event couldn't result in this type of canyon formation.

Fieldwork in Spain............. fond memories, life seemed a bit simpler back then!

Bet your eyelids are feeling heavy after reading this :-)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Only because I just woke up! I find this side of geography really interesting. Can't believe how much of how things are the way they are is now quite well understood considering how many different processes have been at work over such a long time. It's the GDP, demographics, etc etc that gets me drifting off.

Did you ever do volcano field trips? They must be quite exciting! Micro tremors seem to be a good pre indicator of imminent eruption don't they think now?

I have gcse geography btw :D
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Oooooh, volcano field trips would have been fantastic. Alas, no such luck, although I did do a demographic survey of Budleigh Salterton in 1992. It was riveting!
If only it was all like Dante's Peak!

Mind you, I'm no Pearce Brosnan - but I would give the foil suits a try!

Back to the grind

Rob :(
Jim
YF Newbie

Post by Jim »

Sorry to have started a hare running with this katabatic stuff but the discussion is interesting. Being a simple soul I only had a vague idea of how the physics worked..
I presumed that warm daytime air was cooled on clear nights due to radiation, which made it denser and thus rush down the hill and rock my little boat and ruin my sleep. I never gave any attention to where the air to replace the downwards going air came from... or the air to replace the replacement air and so on....

I read this. But I'm not much wiser really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katabatic_wind

Dwells on the extreme katabatic winds of the Arctic and Patagonia.. Hope that I never meet one of those babies.

best

Jim
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

No need for an apology Jim, it's very interesting stuff!!