21st June 2014 - When Anchorages Go Bad

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

21st June 2014 - When Anchorages Go Bad

Post by Jeff »

So the forecast for Thursday night was good. No swell at all, then a bit of a wind from the North East.

Finally time to spend the night at anchor in Newfoundland Cove - a location I've had my eye on for ages. It faces West so unless there's no swell coming off the Atlantic it's uncomfortable. But Thursday night looked good!

All started well with a trip to the beach. There was a little residual swell from the South West (really really tiny) so I put a kedge out (a second anchor) off the stern to keep our bow into the swell to minimise the motion.

Then the wind started to pick up, and it was most definitely an Easterly not a North Easterly.

I still thought we'd probably be OK.

I was wrong.

By morning there was a 1 to 2 foot swell coming at us from 45 degrees off dead ahead. In the night I had rowed out and moved the kedge (no mean fete as it weighs 20kg + chain) but had failed to keep the swell on the bow, so we rolled, all night.

Rose and I had nearly no sleep. Everything fell off that wasn't strapped down. Lunar was very unhappy.

Nina slept through the entire night!

I made a video...

http://youtu.be/yyDw9DY_PGg
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.