12th July 2011 - In Padstow!

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

12th July 2011 - In Padstow!

Post by Jeff »

I filmed our departure from Strangford. It was nerve racking! But as always the waves and swell look like a millpond on video - very annoying.

As we slipped our mooring I noticed 2 other yachts doing the same. I immediately relaxed a little as obviously I'd got the timings correct. But as we chugged slowly towards the point of no return, the anxiety started to increase.

As we passed the Strangford water turbine it was obvious we were going to get to the exit while the outgoing flow was still very much running, so we would definitely get some bouncing. The yacht in front of us slowed down. So did we. But the current was taking us closer and closer to what looked like a bit of a wall on the horizon. Swell appeared then began to grow.

The yacht in front entered the "zone" and immediately started rocking violently. Five minutes later we did the same. A little after that we started to enjoy it and realised it was going to be OK. Bit of a rollercoaster ride in the sun.

About an hour later the rollercoaster got a bit boring and we realised the swell we now had was nothing to do with the tidal race and was instead due to the strong southerlies we'd been having - so we'd be having these waves on the nose for some time then, because we'd secretly planned to make a massive push south, taking advantage of some nice Westerlies that had been forecast.

48 hours, two full nights at sea later, we were on approach to Milford Haven. We'd had to use more fuel than anticipated and we'd run out of milk, so decided to stop off to replenish.

4 hours later the tide turned so we headed back out of Milford Haven, and then turned south, sailing through another night. I did some tidal stream calculations and selected a compass bearing to steer. Great to see the theory works because despite being washed first up towards Bristol for six hours, and then back down towards Ireland - and then again for the next 12 hours - as we approached land at noon yesterday, there was the entrance to the river Camel and Padstow, right in front of us. Remarkable!

--

What an absolutely amazing 3 days and nights! We'll never forget this trip. Everything has really started to come together and we worked brilliantly as a team - like we really knew what we were doing - a great feeling.

For some reason a pod of perhaps 10 to 20 dolphins had decided to accompany us most of the way from Milford Haven to Padstow so every hour or so we were entertained by their play. Rose called me out at one point because the moon was low over the sea, creating an atmospheric vista of reflections from us to the horizon - and in that reflected light were leaping dolphins.

And now we're here in Padstow. I've a bit of work to do and the net is good and the power is cheap - and it's gorgeous here - so I think we'll stay a while.

We're so lucky. This place is chocka block with people from all over the world who've come here to enjoy it. There's white sandy beaches and turquoise seas aplenty, and the surrounding cliffs and land are oozing with history, character and fabulous local foods. Here's an advert for our self-catering apartment...

"Cosy home from home accommodation with all mod cons including fast internet connection. Located right in the historic and colourful fishing harbour itself with a harbourside, south facing terrace with barbecue. Right next to all of the famous Padstow restaurants and shops. Right in the middle of the hustle and bustle. Booking not necessary, just give us a call when you're nearby and we'll come out to meet you and show you the way. Price for the 2011 peak summer season is just £92 a week."

Not bad hey!!

--

When we left Plymouth last year, I wondered if we'd find anywhere we'd consider living, other than Devon or Cornwall. We found some amazing places and even considered returning to London for a winter. Scotland was gob-smackingly gorgeous.

I remember as a kid I was told a story by my headmaster, about a man who left his home and travelled the world looking for a beautiful place he'd once seen as a child. He spent many years looking and finally gave up and went home. One day he went for a short walk out of his home, and over the hill behind it he found the place he'd been searching for. It had been there all along. I feel a bit like that now.

--

Some media...

Lunar doesn't like dolphins: http://youtu.be/qg6PhLvfxsk <<-- CLICK HERE

My life-jacket toggle accidentally got caught on a cleat...

Moored in Padstow Harbour
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Stats update...

We just logged 250 nm in a single (ish) trip. Quite a record! Here's the stats to date since Whitby...

Motored: 109 hours
Sailed: 99 hours
Anchored: 15 nights
Marina: 44 nights
At Sea: 5 nights
Other: 37 nights
Total: 87 nights
Fees: £948 (average £10.89)
Barbecues: 21
Fish: 4
Diesel: 264 litres (includes a lot unused in tanks)
Logged: 846 nautical miles

To put the miles logged into perspective, we've now done 846 + 763 = 1609 miles in the equivalent of 15 days. Falmouth to New York is is 3000. So we could do Falmouth to New York in a month!

Food for thought...

(don't worry mum!)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Does this mean you will be in local waters again soon? Quite a big achievement crossing the Irish Sea as it can be awful - even in summer. Not long til you close the loop now. Nice one!!!!! 8)

Rob

PS - Weather in Scotland was..........................pants!!!!!! :cry:
cdogg
YF Newbie

Post by cdogg »

Hi Jeff and Rose,
Glad to hear your Irish sea crossing passed with only excitement and some thrills. I have only 'done' the Irish sea once from Liverpool Albert Dock to Lamlash (Arran) non stop. We had a terrible over nighter which I will remember for a long time as it was the only time I have ever been seasick, and boy was I seasick.

Anyway, great to hear you are back in familiar waters and close to home.
Well done and once again it was nice to meet up albeit for a short time.
Good wishes for the future
Clarke
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Rob and Clarke. Sounds like we got off pretty lightly for most of the trip to date. Still The Lizard to get around yet, so we're not completely out of the woods. But after that we'll be mooching about in the Falmouth to Dartmouth area for a few weeks, and we'll _have_ to go to Sutton Harbour for at least one night so we can officially finish the lap - so might well see you about Rob. We missed out so much of the Scottish Islands - we'll be back, with extra crew, some time. See you then Clarke...
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

I'll keep an eye out for you. We are aboard most weekends and are moored at Mt. Edgecumbe if you fancy a brew or something a bit stronger. :o

Rob