12th September 2010 - Runswick and Back

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

12th September 2010 - Runswick and Back

Post by Jeff »

Just spent a night at anchor in Runswick Bay, 6 miles to the West of Whitby. Was a bit rolly and so inevitably a friend staying with us vomited. :P The other friend and I jumped off the back of the boat at 1am for a swim!

Was good to get out and have a sail after 6 days in port, but I'm not tired of Whitby yet...

When we got back in we were starving and so decided to take 'methodman' (an old school friend up on his offer of a free pie in his pie and mash shop. I'm not really sure what I expected. A 'caff' or a 'chippy' I guess. But in fact it was absolutely brilliant! If you're in Whitby and you fancy a decent bite to eat, for less than a fiver, in a quirkilly decorated restaurant with an open fire (seasonal) and timely music - and which allows dogs - then you'd fail to beat "Humble Pie". It's on Church Street, opposite Mr Chips. Website is here:

http://www.humblepienmash.com/

Lift-out is looming. Not long now. Bit concerned that living in a cradle (which we did for a week before our voyage began) for a long time might drag a little. Will be nice to be able to have a look at the hull again. To see how Rose's anti-fouling has held up. Also keen to check our "P" bracket which I think is allowing the prop shaft to judder a little. Might need a new cutlass bearing installed which is no doubt expensive.

Must dash, have been invited to the Whitby Seals 50th Anniversary celebration. I sorted out a free website for them earlier in the year, and was captain of the club eons ago (I don't know how I made it to captain as I was about the worst swimmer there - seriously) so they sent me an invite. Not sure if I'm meant to bring my trunks or not.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.