9th August 2010 - Left London

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

9th August 2010 - Left London

Post by Jeff »

Wow! London was quite amazing! We ended up staying for just over 3 weeks in all - and it was non-stop! People and places to see and experience aplenty. Our plan to possibly spend winter 2011 in London is still very much a prospect.

Did notice something though. Sitting outside Erith Yacht Club, 15 miles down the Thames from Tower Bridge, looking at the industrial wasteland which surrounded us - it was nice to be able to see further than a couple of hundred metres. A definite feeling that I'd been restricting my breathing the whole time we'd been there and now I could breathe properly again. Don't think it was stress. Perhaps it was. Think it was just London. I will miss it though.

London to Erith was fun. My parents had joined us for our last 3 nights in London and dad helmed all the way to Erith (as predicted hehe). We motor-sailed the whole way apart from when we went through the barrier when we cut the engine and just sailed. Slightly against the rules, but fun :) Rose was concerned we'd get told off, but we didn't.

When we arrived at Erith Yacht Club ahead of schedule, the tide was not even halfway down. As a result it was running fast and set to increase. Not really rowable - especially not 4-up with dog and luggage. I telephoned Val, the club secretary. I'd emailed her a couple of weeks before and she'd been very helpful with advice and confirmation that we would be welcome to drop off my 'rents there, and stay the night on a buoy. Now, she also arranged for the club RIB to come out and ferry us all across to the club. I tried in vain to buy people drinks in the club bar to say thank you! So THANK YOU VAL, RIB CAPTAIN AND RIB ASSISTANT AND ERITH YACHT CLUB, YOU ARE AWESOME!

Their website is here:

http://www.erithyachtclub.org.uk/

Unfortunately, our next stop will have to be Queenborough again. The tide isn't favourable for long enough to get us to the next destination (Pyefleet Creek) so we'll have to do it in at least two hops. I've got work all week also - so some careful juggling with time and tide will have to be made.

Here's some photos...

Lunar, Rose and Nelson

Barrie & Jane - My Parents

Entering the lock between St Kat's and the Thames. Dinghy now mended using wine corks and amalgamating tape as replacement bungs.

Starting down the Thames

Continuing down the Thames

Navigating around the Millennium Dome

Approaching the barrier - clearance given for "Delta Span"

Approaching the barrier and turning off the engine

Sailing through the Thames Barrier

Captain Bazza
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.