15th July 2010 - On Anchor Watch

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

15th July 2010 - On Anchor Watch

Post by Jeff »

Gale force winds since about 4am, so initiated "anchor watch" mode. Rather a lot of spare power from the wind generator also, so stuck the laptop on. The wind generator (Rutland 913) is periodically going into thermal shutdown mode which we've not seen before - it goes into a free-wheel without resistance and sounds like a jet engine. Doing it again right now actually!

Surprisingly the only reason I'm awake is because the anchor drag alarm went off. We're in a fairly sheltered place in terms of 'sea' so Isabella isn't rocking about all that much, and we have the cabin pretty well sealed up because of the large number of flies, mosquitos and midges here, so it's not all that loud in bed. Outside it's a different matter - we just had 40 knots on the windometer.

Reason the anchor drag alarm went off is that in anticipation of this weather, I rowed out yesterday evening and dropped a second anchor. We've used two anchors a few times now to reduce the distance we swing when the wind/tide change direction, but this is the first time we've stuck out two working together. The theory is that two anchors put out with 45 degrees between the rope/chain between them will back each other up, each one reducing the strain on the other. The theory is fine if both anchors hold. Unfortunately our 25lb CQR (type of anchor) has clearly not held. Fortunately our 15kg Rocna has once again been solid as a rock.

This is about the 3rd time the CQR has dragged on us. The second time being the catalyst for the purchase of the rather expensive and large Rocna. A very wise purchase!

Here's a wee vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHwnYXFLG-U

Here's the two anchor ropes. Rocna on the left - 25m chain spliced to 30m 16mm nylon rope. CQR on the right - 15m chain spliced to 40m 14mm nylon rope.

Last edited by Jeff on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

PS. Here's a video (by Rocna) comparing the Rocna with other anchors - I watched this then placed an order. I have no connection with Rocna.

http://www.rocna.com/main.php?section=m ... deo&page=0
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.