1st May 2010 - Churston to Brixham, Yaarg

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

1st May 2010 - Churston to Brixham, Yaarg

Post by Jeff »

Today is the first proper day of the pirate festival here in Brixham. Last night there were noticeably more pirates in the pubs than usual, so I think there might be a swashbucklingly large number of them in town today. World record attempt "most number of pirates ever together in one place" is tomorrow, but I think we're going to head to Dartmouth around lunchtime tomorrow so not sure if we'll make it. Does mean I don't have to spend hard earned cash on plastic pirate paraphernalia which is a bonus - but it would have been good to be part of a world record of such importance.

Since my last post, all we've done is fail to catch any fish, crabs or lobsters, get a grilling from the UK customs rib (they were confused when I said we didn't have a home port) and motor the half mile from Churston Cove to Brixham Yacht Club's pontoon. We did try to go on the town pontoon but the reception from Brixham Harbour Authority was less than helpful, so we came over to the yacht club and were greeted warmly by the lovely lady behind the bar.

Ooh, we've also been mentioned on BBC Radio Devon, twice! Only because we emailed them and texted them. They had the cheek to laugh at our lack of progress - saying, "well at least they won't have used much fuel". Cheek!

Here's some recent photos:

Caught nothing but a couple of hermit crabs and a whelk!

Last evening in Churston Cove

Generator re-charging the batteries (about 1.5 hours needed a day when I'm working) - almost inaudible in the cabin when it's in the dinghy.

UK Customs depart after giving us an interrogation.

Isabella on Brixham Yacht Club's pontoon, Rose on the Yacht Club's balcony.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.