Liveaboard forum

Our announcements, your suggestions and anything to do with this website.

Moderator: Jeff

DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Liveaboard forum

Post by DaveA »

I don't see one but I've got an interest in the area, are we going to have one ?, might be useful for others who want to ask about the lifestyle
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agreed. Surprised I didn't add one already. Will do so in a moment. Thanks for pointing out the omission.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmm. In which category would this go? And what would be discussed in it that wouldn't actually fit perfectly well in the other forums?

Tough one this.

Someone on Bluemoment was suggesting it would be better to have just a couple of forums in total so everything was all in one pot. I was coming round to the idea but I like the idea of having things all in their own place. Good to keep things organised.

There is the "VIEW ALL POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT" link at the top of every page which means its very easy to keep on top of all new posts.

But I digress. Any sugestions on a location for a liveaboard section. Do you think it should be one new forum - or a whole section with sub-forums. Or do you think I'm right that actually, any liveaboard subject you might raise is already catered for across the existing forums?
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

I think one of the problems you have is that there are way too many forums at the moment. The regional ones seem to go on forever for a start, might be worth trimming that area a bit. But there isn't anywhere at the moment to ask pertinent questions, like for example, what is the minimum size boat a liveaboard can manage on ?.
Maybe some sort of variation on the type of boating people do ?
Not keen on seperating the mobo from raggie as I don't bear the same sort of grudge that some do, but in the type of boat zone, we have wood, steel and plastic. Is that strictly needed ?. Maybe lump plastic and steel together and have another as traditional, and another as liveaboard ?
Leaky from above = steel and plastic ? :D
Leaky from below = wood :o
I have plastic and wood so know the difference :lol:
Then liveaboard on its own as that's entirely different ?
Just a thought
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you see that you can minimise entire sections of the forums? See the little "SHOW/HIDE" links next to the category titles.

Agreed there are a lot of forums - but if the regional ones took off, it'd be a shame to not have them separated out. I've seen some other forums where regional splits like that work out very well.

Having said that, perhaps you're right. Could completely re-work to something really simple like this:

The Yacht Club
Safety, Technical & Engineering
Regional Interest
Legalities And Bureaucracy
Wanted
For Sale

And could migrate all existing content to the most appropriate of those.

Hmmm.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Yep, that would do it, though I'm not so sure about the title 'Yacht Club' :lol:
Might end up with a punchup over which flag to use, red, white or blue :D
Maybe go for something like 'General Boat Issues' or 'Boating Matters'
Just a thought, hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in ? :oops:
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not at all. Appreciate the suggestions.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Thanks. Have to admit, some people get a little tetchy when others interfere. If I think of anything else I'll let you know :D
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What do you think of the trim?
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

That's much better, thanks, not so difficult to find which area particularly interests anyone that pops in.