Boatyards AAAAAGH!

Have a natter in here about anything you like. Witty, serious, interesting, inspirational - anything goes. Just like your own yacht club bar - but electronic! :)

Moderator: Jeff

VicTheViking
YF Newbie

Boatyards AAAAAGH!

Post by VicTheViking »

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression that boatyards don't share the same sense of importance about your pride and joy as you do?

Not gonna name names but I gave a signed go-ahead to a certain yard to do some work on my boat about 6 weeks ago. They only just started, despite saying it would be no problem and that they would "get cracking this week or the one after" - SIX WEEKS AGO.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! :evil:

I feel better now for having shared that.
cpedw
YF Newbie

Post by cpedw »

They vary quite a bit. In my experience, the expensive ones are fairly reliable but I don't tend to go there. Where I sail, Argyll, they (not just boatyards) have a whole different notion of urgency from anywhere else I know. Manyana is a serious rush. (I hope my boys aren't reading this; launching is scheduled for Monday.)

Derek
Dickh
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Dickh »

My boatyard which is a small one on the East Coast is very good, always doing what I ask very promptly, usually within the week. As most people at this yard do their own maintenance, I have always been pleased with them.
Whether this would be the same at the busy launching season I'm not sure.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

The East coast seems to come out better in loads of ways, but when it comes to work on the boat I prefer to do it myself if I can. Never trusted a boat yard since seeing some of the standards that they think are acceptable